Today marks the one year anniversary of Our Neck of the Woods! I'm really excited and thought it would be fun to look back over the past year and see what all we've accomplished. I was hesitant to start this blog, but my sweet friend Heather gave me the push I needed to put myself out there and I'm so glad she did. I've never been one for attention, so it was hard for me to express myself for the whole world to see. But now I can't imagine NOT doing it. Sharing bits and pieces of rural living through photos and words has become a passion for me and I am so glad I took the plunge one year ago. Here's what we've been up to this past year.
1) Discovered how much we enjoy exploring our woods and feeling like kids again when we discover amazing bugs and critters we've never seen before.
2) Learned more about foraging and went mushroom hunting in our woods for the first time. Figured out how to identify and cook puffballs!
3) Realized that it's important to take time every once in a while to treat yo self.
4) Made the discovery of a lifetime - banana ice cream!
5) Started a new tradition of Christmas tree shopping in our own back yard.
6) Waged a war on ticks with the help of a new flock of guineas.
7) Dealt with the worst heartbreak we'd ever experienced as homesteaders and learned to let our bad experiences strengthen us.
8) Eight new little pullets were added to our flock; one of which turned out to be a rooster!
9) Started a new series on the blog called Feathered Friend Friday.
10) Lots of progress was made with Duchess. She's so playful and happy now!
11) Started a facebook page for the blog and also registered a custom domain name for the blog.
12) For the first time ever, we witnessed eggs hatching and became proud grandparents!
13) Successfully completed the logging process on our 20 acres of woods. Still working on clean up, though!
14) Perhaps my favorite change over the past year - finally upgraded to a new camera!
15) Learned so much about gardening this past year and plan to use what we've learned to help us out with next year's garden.
This past year has been a wild ride. Can't wait to see what the next year brings!