I've always wanted to join in with my friend Nancy for her fun Random 5 Friday series, but since I always do a feathered friend post on Fridays I figured I wouldn't be able to submit anything. Then I realized I could write five random feathered friend facts, so here we go!
1. Roosters don't only crow in the mornings. They crow ALL DAY LONG. Sometimes I hear Cam crowing in the middle of the night! Most people who visit the homestead are surprised when they hear our roosters crowing loudly in the afternoon or evening.
2. You probably know by now that I love me a fluffy chicken butt. I try not to discriminate, but I have to say, Buff Orpingtons have some glorious fluff.
3. I love the colorful eggs my current layers give me, but I'm really excited for our Welsummer pullet to start laying. She will lay a dark brown, almost terra cotta colored egg!
4. Our coop kitty, Emma, is learning from Sylvester to watch over the chickens while they're out free ranging. I'm not sure what kind of damage she could do to a predator, but it's cute that she stands guard.
5. It seems like the chickens are always on the go and scratching for treats, but occasionally they take breaks. It always makes me laugh when I see them sitting down like this because they look like living versions of hens on nests!
Shared with Random 5 Friday